Native southeastern United States the Florida Palm or Serenoa repens is a slow-growing plant,
characterized by fan-shaped sheets. It grows on the dunes, pine forests, and mounds of land on the southeastern coast of the United States.
This species of palm tree grows (as its name indicates) in Florida where its fruits are abundant, but also in the United States, where it is grown in the Alabama in Georgia and in the Mississippi .
Its fruits whose shape and size are close to that of the olive, are of colour deep purple They were a staple food for the Indians for 12,000 years before the Europeans arrived on their land.
Florida Palm: A Brief History of Florida Palms
This dwarf palm tree, also called “saw palmetto”, “saw palmetto” or “sabal”, prefers the sandy soils and dry .
Small in size, it does not exceed 3 meters high to its full growth and its fruits (or berries) are usually hand-picked.
Indeed, despite the favourable climate, the pickers of its fruit wear leather gloves and long-sleeved clothing to protect themselves from the sharp thorns bordering the leaf stalks.
Even more, the presence of large wasp nests in the middle of these palms, make picking even more risky.
After harvest s, the fruits of the Florida Palm are dried then exported mainly by Europe but also on the American continent where they are part of the composition of various products.
However, it is the dwarf palm berries which, thanks to their virtues have a strong interest in phytotherapy .
What are they? How do they act on the human organism? What are their benefits for health? How can we use it to derive the maximum therapeutic benefit ?
Today, the World Health Organization and the European Commission recognize the use of Florida Palm to treat urinary disorders arising from the hypertrophy benign of the prostate light to moderate (Phase I and Phase II) II ).
Here’s what you need to know…
Properties of the Florida Palm
Belonging to the family of aracacées (Araceae), the botanical name of the Florida palm is “Serenoa repens”.
In the past, the Native Americans who populated the southeastern United States, exploited the fruits of the sabal to feed themselves but also to care for some:
– urinary disorders among men ,
– mammary disorders among women ,
– digestive disorders
– and, the dysentery .
In addition to this, there are the aphrodisiac properties , antiseptic , expectorant that are attributed to him.
When the European settlers arrived, they had incorporated them into their food and their livestock. They learned the same uses the Indians had for them.
Only as time went by, they found that the berries of the saw palmetto had a disgusting taste of soap and decided to keep only the medicinal uses.
Later, at the beginning of the 20th century the American doctors were using berries of saw palmetto to treat clinical manifestations of benign hypertrophy of the prostate s, the libido The effects of the treatment of cancer, mucous membrane irritation, prostate enlargement, and the infection of ways urinary .
This plant was part of the list of official medicines in the United States until 1950 when it was no longer of medical interest.
On the other hand, the Florida Palm has remained popular and widely used in Europe and, during the 1960s, the French doctors invented the type of lipophilic extract that is well known today.
Moreover, in Italy, Austria and Germany, this Florida palm extract is very popular in the context of the treatment of benign hypertrophy of the prostate .
It wasn’t until the 1990s that palm kernel cabbage, along with African plum, pumpkin seeds and nettle, returned to the U.S. store shelves in the 1990s. natural products .
Florida Palm: virtues and health benefits
The healing properties of the dwarf palm are various .
According to research conducted by scientists, the Florida palm is a :
– sedative light. It is used for sleep of bronchitis and crises of cough .
– antiandrogen peripheral which promotes the treatment of conditions related to benign prostatic hyperplasia.
From there, the saw palmetto is suitable for relieve :
– the difficulty in urinating This may be due to a bladder dysfunction or an obstruction in the excretory canal.
This alteration of the bladder is also called dysuria.
– the urinary disorders at night associated with overactive bladder. This urge to urinate is also called pollakiuria.
– – l’ adenoma of the prostate gland.
The Florida Palm, by all accounts:
– would inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, i.e. the substance that would impact on the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
– would, through its effect anti-inflammatory The effect on the estrogen/testosterone hormone balance is positive,
– would benefit from apoptosis the natural death of prostate cells in slowing down his hypertrophy .
Uses, dosages, instructions for use
In the case of treatments the Florida Palm exists in various forms including: the fruit extracts s, the standardized extracts and the mother tincture .
In order to obtain the best therapeutic benefit, the dosage is the following:
– at Dyeing 1 or 2 ml to be taken 3 times a day is recommended;
– at excerpts (specific extract, standardized to 80 or 90% fatty acids and sterols (the most effective mixture for the symptoms of HBP ), the dosage is 160 mg twice daily.
– as for capsules If you have any questions, it is best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Good to know about the Florida Palm Tree
The sabal can cause:
– mild intestinal problems (diarrhea or constipation)
– of itching
– of headaches
– of the arterial hypertension .
Contrary to what one might think, it does not alter the libido.
The effects of Saw palmetto are not systematic from the first catches. Regular monitoring, a treatment 1 or even 2 months before you start feeling the benefits .
Although the efficacy of Florida Palm has been proven in the treatment of symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia, it is better to have the your doctor’s opinion treating and not opting for a self-medication .
> Taking extracts from the Florida palm tree:
– is strictly not recommended for one hormonotherapy and even less so, to the expectant mothers .
– must be done with precaution for subjects with a treatment antiplatelet and anticoagulant .
In all cases, there must be compliance with a medical guidance .