The autumn daisy is very well known for decorating tombs, but it is also a beautiful plant to flower our gardens and terraces.
In summary, what you need to know is:
Name : Chrysanthemum
Family : Asteraceae
Type : Annual and perennial (depending on species)
Height 40 to 70 cm
Exhibition : Sunny
Sol : Ordinary
Flowering June to November
Planting and maintenance, find out what you need to know to have beautiful daisies in the fall.
Planting of the autumn daisy
Autumn daisy plants ideally in the spring because, although it will only flower in late summer or autumn, it will be well rooted and will withstand the rigours of autumn and winter much better.
- Place seedlings in spring in well-drained, amended soil.
The autumn daisy we buy potted in the fall can be planted directly in soil, in pots or in a planter, ideally with potting soil, but their hardiness will be reduced.
- You will choose a place sunny in order to promote flowering.
- Cut off wilted stems before replanting in the garden
- Watering after planting
Pruning, maintenance, watering of the fall daisy
The autumn daisy requires little care except to water regularly if it does not rain.
- Remove wilted flowers as you go along, this encourages new flowers to appear.
- Water when the soil is dry, especially for pot use, as chrysanthemums need moist soil to grow well.
- We must not do not wet the foliage in order to prevent the development of diseases such as rust or powdery mildew.
- After the first frosts When the flowers begin to blacken, cut the stems flush with the ground and cover with a good cover of dried leaves.
Frequent diseases of the autumn daisy
The fall daisy is prone to a few diseases and pests, but these are preventable, especially by avoiding wetting the foliage and by spacing each plant sufficiently far apart so that they do not touch each other.
- Powdery mildew a whitish film covers the leaves and stems.
- Rust Pustules appear on the underside of the leaves.
- Aphids The leaves roll up and eventually fall off.
To know about the autumn daisy
The autumn daisy is Korean native but today it is a cult plant in Japan where it has become the favorite flower of the Japanese.
She’s called over there the autumn flower and she’s a symbol of pleasure and happiness.
There is a huge range of chrysanthemums.
They are known for their pink, red, orange, yellow and white hues.
They have the advantage of bloom late We are happy to come and decorate our gardens when the flowers start to become scarce, until November or December.
They are also planted potted for flowering balconies and terraces.
- For this, prefer a good potting soil for flowering plants, which will have the advantage of keeping the humidity because the plant needs it.
Chrysanthemums are very adaptable and can be used in clumps, pots or tubs, but also as a decoration for a flower bed.
If you wish to choose the colour, buy them in a pot (container) when they start to flower and plant them in your garden.