Enjoy this recipe for wild mushroom puff pastry with crunchy fennel salad.
Preparation: 20 min – Cooking time: 25 min
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 300 g of wild mushrooms (depending on the market: chanterelles, trumpets…)
- 1 puff pastry
- 2 shallots
- 2 pods of garlic
- ½ bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 30 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 bulbs of fennel
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. argan oil
- ½ bunch of coriander
- Salt and pepper
Recipe for Woodland Mushroom Puff Pastry with Crunchy Fennel Salad
Brush the mushrooms in order to remove their impurities (twigs, sand, earth…). For the dirtiest ones, put them in a colander and put them in iced water and drain them carefully. Cut them into strips.
- Mince the shallots and garlic very finely and fry them in a pan (or in a frying pan) in butter.
- Add the mushrooms to the casserole and mix well. Fry them for a few moments.
- Place the mushrooms in 4 crème brûlée moulds and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Cut the puff pastry into discs to the size of the moulds, leaving about 0.5 cm over the top. Brush the edges of the moulds with beaten egg yolk. Place the pastry like a lid on the mushrooms. The egg yolk will seal the dough on the moulds.
Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake at half height for 15 to 20 minutes. The baking time is over when the dough is golden and slightly domed.
While the puff pastries are cooking, prepare the fennel salad:
- Wash, dry and finely chop the fennel.
- Squeeze the orange and lemon and pour the juice into a bowl.
- Add salt, argan oil, pepper and chopped coriander.
- Place the chopped fennel in the salad bowl and mix well.
Serve the puff pastry warm with the crispy fresh fennel salad.
To garnish the fennel salad, add a few Granny apple sticks and orange zest. Try it in the same range of flavours: fennel confit in orange juice. The fennels are cut in half in height and cooked gently in a base of orange juice and butter.
Photo credit: ©Philippe Dufour