An excellent winter recipe, the duck confit soup can be used as a starter but also as a complete meal.
Preparation 20 min
Cooking 50 min
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 leek
- 30 g semi-salted butter
- 2 legs of duck confit
- 1 l cold poultry stock
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 clove
- 50 g sheep’s milk cheese
- Salt, peppercorns
Duck Confit Soup
– Wash and peel the carrots, potatoes and leek. Mince all these vegetables.
– In a casserole, melt the butter and sweat the vegetables without colouring them.
– Crumble the duck confit and add it to the vegetables. Pour in the cold stock, add the previously chopped garlic, cloves and pepper. Cook for 40 minutes on low heat.
– Cut the sheep’s milk cheese into small cubes.
– Just before serving, add diced sheep’s cheese and toast.
Learn more about Basque sheep’s milk cheeses
These cheeses are handcrafted and made from raw whole milk from rustic breeds of sheep: black-headed, russet-headed, Basco-Béarnaise. The reputation of the tommes and tommettes of local ewes is well established on the cheese boards, the most famous being the “Tomme” and “Tommettes de Brebis du Pays”.AOC Ossau-Iraty.
Very fragrant cheeses, there’s something for everyone! From mild to truly full-bodied, the maturing process allows the flavour, aromas, texture and rind to develop over time. To be enjoyed at the end of a meal, plain or accompanied by black cherry jam (softens the taste character of cheeses that have been matured for a long time), as an aperitif accompanied by Basque cider or in a salad, with ewe’s tomme cheese with Espelette chilli pepper being particularly suitable.
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: F. Hamel