A cult dessert that cannot be ignored, the chocolate charlotte is a pure delight.
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 30 spoon biscuits
- 250 g dark chocolate (64 % cocoa)
- 75 g semi-salted butter
- 6 eggs
- 30 g icing sugar
For the syrup:
- 20 cl of water
- 50 g caster sugar
– Make a syrup by heating water and sugar. Leave to cool.
– Dip each boudoir in the syrup for a few seconds (do not soak them too long as they should still be slightly firm) and line the edges and bottom of a charlotte mould (about 18 centimetres in diameter) as you go along.
– Cut 200 g of chocolate into pieces, melt it in a pan with bain-marie with the butter. The mixture should be smooth. Book the remaining 50 g, they will be cut into shavings for decoration.
– Break the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
– Transfer the melted chocolate to a salad bowl, stir in 4 egg yolks.
– Go to the 6 egg whites, add the icing sugar and whisk again until they stick to the branches of the whisk. Gently fold the egg whites into the contents of the bowl.
– Place half of the chocolate mousse in the mould, cover with biscuits, place the remaining mousse and finish with a layer of biscuits (the ingredients should arrive almost flush). Seal the charlotte tightly in the mould (by putting its lid on) and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
– Gently unmould the charlotte, place it on a plate.
B.A .ba of the chief
The charlotte This dessert, which is very popular in France, is an English dessert. At the very beginning of the XIXth century, the charlotte was a dessert created for the Queen Charlotte wife of King George. III . It was a cake prepared in a high mould, lined with buttered bread and filled with fruit compote.
It’s Antonin Lent, cook at King George’s court. IV …which brought the Charlotte to France. He reappropriated the English recipe by lining the mould with biscuits with a spoon and garnishing with Bavarian cream and named it Charlotte à la Parisienne.