As an aperitif or as a starter, treat yourself to these delicious little winter carrot shortbreads.
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 200 g flour
- 1/2 sachet of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 10 cl milk
- 1 carrot
- 80 g of county
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 tbsp. thick crème fraîche
- Salt, pepper
Small winter carrot shortbreads
Carrot shortbread … carrot in the sand!
– Preheat the oven to 180°C (th.6).
– Place the flour and yeast in a bowl, make a well and put the egg and milk in it. Using a whisk, mix all together to obtain a homogeneous dough. Add the grated Comté cheese, the cumin powder and the grated carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
– On a non-stick baking sheet, spread small piles of dough. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
– Enjoy these shortbread biscuits as an aperitif accompanied by seasoned thick crème fraîche.
B.A .ba of the chief
– Comté can be replaced by another cooked pressed cheese such as mimolette.
– Shredded (untreated) orange peel can be incorporated along with the carrots in this recipe.
– The thick crème fraîche that accompanies the shortbread can be flavoured with old-fashioned mustard.
– The carrot can be replaced with pumpkin of the butternut . It can also be associated with black radish …celery.
– The recipe can be treated differently: place some leftover, roughly cut stewed vegetables at the bottom of a dish, sprinkle them with the contents of the salad bowl crumbly style!
An English cake made with a layer of fruit in the bottom of the dish and a layer of crumbled dough, hence the name “to crumble” meaning “to fall apart”.
In Quebec, it is common practice to replace some or all of the flour with oatmeal.
Nowadays, crumble is available for sweet and savoury where spices replace sugar.
Recipe: T. Debéthune, Photo: C. Herlédan